It’s hard to say what the best paper for lino printing is, as the selection of papers to choose from is quite vast. A few tips and rules to choose a paper for lino printing are listed below.
- Use papers that are 200gsm+ (Some recommend lighter paper as they require less pressure to print)
- Use specialist printmaking papers or watercolour paper.
- If the paper is too thin it will buckle when dried, can use light paper for proof printing.
- Smoother papers produce a more consistent print with less flecking (Paper shows through print)
- Textured papers can be used to create a more unique texture and intricate lino print.
- Final cut of the paper should leave some border of non printed paper, make sure to leave some space.